Sunday, January 12, 2020

Two Books


I have read two books this year that have impacted me in a profoundly positive way.   “Journey of the Heart-intimate relationship and the path of love,” by John Welwood, and ”The Anatomy of Peace-resolving the heart of conflict” by the Arbinger Institute.  The former opened my eyes to the intimate relationship aspect of what occurs when someone projects onto their intimate partner the qualities they value, most frequently embody themselves, thereby giving them up to the other, resulting in an addiction to their lover.  I found his understanding and explanation of this brilliant.  When we are unable to own our qualities, we become less than who we were before knowing the intimate partner.  Developing a serious co-dependent relationship.  I deeply appreciated Welwood’s clarity.  The latter book, ripe with a complex example of conflict, describes the parting, the warring, that occurs when we see “the other” as an object, and no longer a human being.  All the downfall that occurs in the process as it unfolds.

And I begin writing about this upon my return home to my box canyon because I am able to reflect upon the wisdom these books continue to present to me.  I suppose I would say that in the midst of chaos, to be able to be calm, to feel empowered rather than victimized is a very important posture to me.   Including how to evict a skunk from the coop! Not had to tackle that one before.....but now I know who took the nine baby chicks and who has been stealing the eggs.  I owe a huge apology to the squirrel. 

My own past nine months back in this box canyon have at times given me cause to wonder if anything of serious importance would come of this time here.  Today, I can say that I have found deeper self-understanding and more comprehension around conflict and how to live peacefully when it abounds.  Including how to step aside and not feed it.
Well, got that part off my chest.....


Kat
20 October 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment